The time has come for us to start watching for the October Surprise, a political term to describe the last-minute sabatoging of an opposing candidate by revealing something great about yourself or something horrible about your opponent.
So, here are my predictions for possible October surprises, in order from least plausible to most plausible:
10. Biden is replaced by Hilary on veep ticket.
9. The whisper campaign that Obama is a Muslim who refuses to wear a flag pin or say the Pledge of Allegiance nonsense is amplified in targeted communities through locally published and anonymous flyers, postings, and other publicly controlled media.
8. The Republican congress holds out on the bailout until mid-October, then suddenly votes for a stimulus/bailout package that temporarily and artificially induces the populace into an economy-is-good-McCain-must-be-ok sort of stupor.
7. McCain gets a foothold on the Rezko or Ayers stories that currently have little or no traction.
6. The RNC raises the battleflag of voter fraud and claims to have evidence that Republicans are being targeted, specifically in targeted districts where Republicans are needed to flock to the polls.
5. Palin is replaced by Romney on veep ticket (this moves to #3 if Palin’s debates are tragic)
4. Some major event occurs in the Middle East that reminds us of the threat: a new videotape from Osama Bin Laden, a major threat is exposed, a grand plot is uncovered, or Iran shows signs of going off the deep-end once and for all.
3. Some completely as-of-yet-unknown story or detail that completely catches everyone off guard.
2. As if from heaven, gas prices will fall as OPEC manipulates the market due to “significant western economic fluctuations”.
1. The government increases the security threat under the guise of securing economic interests.
The only way to know for sure is to wait!